WOODLAND CULTURAL CENTRE MUSEUM EDUCATION
EDUCATION OUTREACH CULTURAL INTERPRETER
The Woodland Cultural Centre is seeking a highly motivated individual to assist in the Museum Education department. The role of the Education Outreach Cultural Interpreter will be to provide off site presentations and workshops based on the Haudenosaunee and Ongwehonweh culture.
Preference will be given to applicants of First Nations ancestry.
- Research and become familiar with the Education Department, the Cultural Centre’s museum facilities, workshops that we provide and information of the Residential School.
- Research and become familiar with the traditional lifestyles and cultural objects.
- Become familiar and be able to present existing presentations and workshops
- Research and create other presentations to address current First Nations issues.
- Present residential school information sessions
- Be able to conduct guided tours of the Centre; including the museum, art galleries, outdoor exhibits, facilitate craft workshops and all other supplementary tour activities; individually and cooperatively as may be needed.
- Complete other tasks (i.e. clerical, craft preparation, etc.) as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Possess good communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Possess knowledge of Residential School, specifically Mohawk Institute.
- Have understanding of history of Six Nations and Haudenosaunee culture.
- Reliable and demonstrate interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Understand the social and political context of the Woodland Cultural Centre Museum, Education program and Art galleries to First Nations
- A degree in First Nations Studies or equivalent work experience
- Confident in Cultural knowledge an advantage
- Ability to speak languages of the Haudenosaunee an asset
Must have own transportation
Monday August 21, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
Contract Start date:
Monday August 28, 2017
Full-time yearly contract subject to the availability of funding
$15/hr. x 30 hours weekly
If interested, please send cover letter and resumé to:
Woodland Cultural Centre
184 Mohawk Street
Brantford, ON N3S 2X2 Attn: Lorrie Gallant
Note: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.