Join our team!
Under the direction of the Education Coordinator, the Cultural Interpreter assumes responsibility for guiding tours of the Woodland Cultural Centre’s museum, facilitate residential school presentations as well as workshop instructions. The Cultural Interpreter will be working in conjunction with other staff members to provide knowledge of the Centre and complete other duties related to Museum Education.
Overview of Responsibilities:
The Cultural Interpreter is responsible for facilitating the WCC’s Museum Education Department programming. This includes:
Program Delivery – 60%
• Facilitate Museum Education workshops and presentations to the public as requested, which may include craft workshops, traditional music/dance, sports; individually and cooperatively as needed.
• Conduct guided tours of the Centre; including the museum, art galleries
• Be able to provide outreach presentations and workshops
• Present residential school information sessions
Preparation and organization -30%
• Preparing craft kits and workshop materials ahead of group visits
• Maintaining workshop materials by keeping inventory up to date and storing in an organized manner
Program Development – 10%
• Working with Education Coordinator to improve current Museum Education programming and developing new programming
• Conducting research to assist in program development
• Familiarizing self with federal and provincial curriculum
• Possess good oral and written communication skills
• Possess knowledge of Residential School, specifically Mohawk Institute.
• Have an understanding of the history of Six Nations and Haudenosaunee culture.
• Enjoy working with the public
• Reliable and demonstrate interpersonal and problem-solving skills
• Understand the social and political context of the Woodland Cultural Centre Museum, Education program and Art galleries to First Nations
• Traditional craft and artistic ability an asset
• Knowledge of Haudenosaunee languages an asset
• Must be able to pass Vulnerable Sector Check
Closing date: Friday, August 16th 2019
DOWNLOAD FULL JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Preference will be given to applicants of Indigenous heritage.
If interested, please send cover letter and resumé with references to:
Woodland Cultural Centre
184 Mohawk Street
Brantford, ON N3S 2X2
Attn: Lindsay Bomberry
(519) 759-2650 ext. 231
Note: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.