Short-Term Contract (September 28, 2020 – March 31, 2021)
Closing Date: September 23, 2020 at 4PM
The Woodland Cultural Centre shall be a leader in the revitalization and strengthening of the languages, values, arts, and knowledge found within the Indigenous Civilizations of the Eastern Woodland. It shall have as its aims and objectives the preservation, accurate documentation, education, decolonization and promotion of the values, practices, language, National Treasures and articles of both past and contemporary Indigenous Civilizations of the Eastern Woodland. Youth, Elders, students, scholars and people of both the Anishinaabek and Ǫgwehǫ:weh Civilizations can research, reaffirm, celebrate, learn, display and discuss their culture, language, history, art and values.
Under the direction of the Projects & Language Coordinator, the Language Programmer will take a lead role in building community-based language programming, and assist in the implementation of the project grant “Language Vibrancy at the Woodland Cultural Centre”.
Primarily, the Language Programmer is responsible for the creation of museum panels in the six languages of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy; the development an online workshop about the Haudenosaunee languages for school groups; and working with Faithkeepers and speakers in the creation of fluency assessment tools and protocols for high ceremonial language.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Language Programmer shall:
- Develop and oversee the creation of museum panels in the six languages of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy working alongside the Curator and Education Coordinator.
- Work alongside the Education Coordinator to develop an introductory level Haudenosaunee languages workshop dedicated to bridging the knowledge gap. Consultation with Woodland’s support communities Six Nations of the Grand River, Wahta Mohawks and Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte.
- Work with Faithkeepers and community stakeholders to help develop policies and protocols for the Language Resource Centre.
- Support the building of resources in the Cayuga language that will assist teachers in using the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) assessment tools.
- Assist in the establishment of the Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language Resource Centre and the management of the Longhouse-based collections as a resource for Longhouse Speakers.
- Work with Faithkeepers, community members, staff, and visitors to ensure appropriate access to the language recordings and resources in the Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language Resource Centre.
OVERVIEW OF REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
The Language Programmer shall have:
- An in-depth knowledge of Longhouse Protocols, Speeches, and Haudenosaunee cultural practices, including Ganǫhǫnyǫhk, Gei: Niyoihwa:ge:, and Gaihwi:yo.
- Be orally proficient and literate in at least one Ǫgwehǫ:weh language, as the collection is centered around oral recordings in the Cayuga and Onondaga languages.
- Have a basic knowledge of language learning methodologies and linguistics.
- Experience in language leadership, teaching, and program development.
- Ability to develop and implement community collaborations.
- The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
All applicants for this position should submit a current CV or Resume, a sample of writing in an Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language on the topic of their choice, and three references. References must include one reference who can attest to applicants level of proficiency and literacy in an Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language, one employment reference, and one personal or community reference.
Preference will be given to applicants of Ǫgwehǫ:weh heritage who are proficient in the languages of Cayuga, Onondaga, or Mohawk.
Closing Date: September 18, 2020 at 4PM
If interested, please send cover letter and resumé with references by 4PM on September 23, 2020 to:
Attn: Projects & Language Coordinator
Woodland Cultural Centre
184 Mohawk Street
Brantford, ON N3S 2X2
Note: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more, visit: woodlandculturalcentre.ca
Download Job Description PDF