Job Title: Language Centre Digitizer and Cataloguer
Division: Language Department, Woodland Cultural Centre
Position: June 7th, 2021 – February 28th, 2022, 22hrs/week, $17/hr
Position Closes June 4th, 2021. Candidates may be interviewed through the posting period.
- Assist the Language Department with inventory, data entry, and cataloging
- Digitize and catalogue the contextual collection of 110 audiocassette tapes
- Identify the Longhouse Speeches, Songs, and topics of conversation on the audiocassettes in Cayuga and Onondaga languages, and input this information into WCC Language’s PastPerfect database
- Some audio editing in Audacity and/or Adobe Audition
- Adhering to the guidelines set out for the Sacred and Sensitive Materials held at WCC
- Collection is almost entirely in the Cayuga language, with some Onondaga Language dialogue – must be able to differentiate between the two languages
- Follow Woodland Personnel Policies, and Museum Policies
- Interact with the public in a professional and courteous manner
- Knowledge of Longhouse Protocols, Speeches, and Haudenosaunee cultural practices, including Ganǫhǫnyǫhk, Gei: Niyoihwa:ge:, and Gaihwi:yo
- The ability and knowledge to differentiate and distinguish between different Longhouse Speeches and Ceremonies in Cayuga with limited support
- Ability to speak, write, and understand spoken Cayuga language at an Intermediate level
- Experience digitizing audio-visual analog materials such as cassette tapes, or willingness to learn
- Experience editing digital audio files
- Experience with Audacity, PastPerfect Museum Software, Adobe Create Cloud Suite, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Teams are considered assets
- Understanding of Haudenosaunee cultural history and current issues
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills in English and Cayuga
- Familiar with both Mac & PC operating systems, or willing to learn
- Time management skills, and completion of assigned projects
- Able to work as a team as well as independently
- Research skills would be considered an asset
Please note that this position must be done on-site, and cannot be done remotely. In the case of closure due to COVID-19 restrictions, complementary work with the Language Department will be assigned.
All applicants for this position should submit a current CV or Resume, a sample of writing in an Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language on the topic of their choice, and three references. References must include one reference who can attest to the applicant’s level of proficiency and literacy in an Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language, one employment reference, and one personal or community reference.
Preference will be given to applicants of Ǫgwehǫ:weh heritage who are proficient in the languages of Cayuga and Onondaga.
Closing Date: June 4, 2021, at 1PM
If interested, please send a cover letter and resumé with references by 1PM on June 4 2021 to:
Woodland Cultural Centre
184 Mohawk Street, Brantford, ON N3S 2X2
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.