Short-Term Contract (September 28, 2020 – March 31, 2021)
Closing Date: September 23, 2020 at 4PM
The Woodland Cultural Centre shall be a leader in the revitalization and strengthening of the languages, values, arts, and knowledge found within the Indigenous Civilizations of the Eastern Woodland. It shall have as its aims and objectives the preservation, accurate documentation, education, decolonization and promotion of the values, practices, language, National Treasures and articles of both past and contemporary Indigenous Civilizations of the Eastern Woodland. Youth, Elders, students, scholars and people of both the Anishinaabek and Ǫgwehǫ:weh Civilizations can research, reaffirm, celebrate, learn, display and discuss their culture, language, history, art and values.
Under the direction of the Projects & Language Coordinator, the Language Centre Cataloguer will assist in the cataloguing of the Language Resource Centre. The resources include paper archives, and audiovisual recordings such as CDs, cassette tapes, reel to reels, and digital files.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Language Cataloguer shall:
- Assist the Language Department with inventory, data-entry, and cataloging the collection
- Digitize paper & audiovisual archival assets
- Assist in the transcription and development of language materials & resources
- Assist with setting up the new Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language Resource Centre in the Mohawk Institute Building
- Interact with the public in a professional and courteous manner
OVERVIEW OF REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
The Language Cataloguer shall have:
- Ideal candidates will have familiarity with at least one Ǫgwehǫ:weh language, and/or attend an Ǫgwehǫ:weh language program.
- Familiar with both Mac & PC operating systems, or willing to learn.
- Strong proficiency in Excel and/or experience working with databases.
- Experience in the PastPerfect Museum Software, or willingness to learn.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Time management skills, and efficient completion of assigned projects.
- Experience in cataloging, audiovisual editing software, and/or experience with the digitization of analog media are considered assets.
All applicants for this position should submit a current CV or Resume, a sample of writing in an Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language on the topic of their choice, and three references. References must include one reference who can attest to applicants level of proficiency and literacy in an Ǫgwehǫ:weh Language, one employment reference, and one personal or community reference.
Preference will be given to applicants of Ǫgwehǫ:weh heritage who are proficient in the languages of Cayuga, Onondaga, or Mohawk.
Closing Date: September 18, 2020 at 4PM
If interested, please send cover letter and resumé with references by 4PM on September 23, 2020 to:
Attn: Projects & Language Coordinator
Woodland Cultural Centre
184 Mohawk Street
Brantford, ON N3S 2X2
Note: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more, visit: woodlandculturalcentre.ca