Save the Evidence is a campaign to raise awareness and support for the restoration of the former Mohawk Institute Residential School, and to develop the building into an Interpreted Historic Site and Educational Resource. As a site of conscience, the final goal is to create a fully-realized Interpretive Centre that will be the definitive destination for information about the history of Residential Schools in Canada, the experiences of Survivors of the schools, and the impact that the Residential School system has had on our communities.
The total budget for the restoration of the Mohawk Institute Residential School Building is $23.5 Million. With your assistance and support we will be able to build upon the success we have achieved in fundraising $12 Million with renovations of Phase One and Two complete. We are currently awaiting response to funding for $11 Million. If this funding is successful, we will need to raise the remaining $500,000.00 to complete the final phase of Save the Evidence.
Our community overwhelmingly wanted to repair the building – to Save the Evidence of what happened there during this dark chapter in Canadian history and to ensure this history is never forgotten. Every donation helps us to realize this nationally important project.
A Brief History of the Mohawk Institute
The Mohawk Institute Indian Residential School operated in Brantford, Ontario from 1828 to 1970. It served as a boarding school for First Nations children from Six Nations, as well as other communities throughout Ontario and Quebec. It served as a key tool in the effort to assimilate First Nations children into European Christian society, and sever the continuity of culture from parent to child.
After closing in 1970, it reopened in 1972 as the Woodland Cultural Centre, a non-profit organization that serves to preserve and promote First Nations culture and heritage.
How Can You Help?
There are many ways that individuals and groups can get involved in the Save the Evidence campaign.
- Make a one-time or monthly donation & receive a charitable tax receipt
- Host a fundraising event
- Purchase Save the Evidence merchandise. All proceeds from the sale of these items directly benefit the Save The Evidence campaign.
- Raise awareness about the Campaign by liking us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Visiting the Woodland Cultural Centre to learn firsthand more about the history of Residential Schools in Canada
- Sharing our history with your families, friends, workplaces, service organizations, and faith groups
- Ensuring your children’s school teaches about and understands Indigenous history.
Your Support will be used to:
- Complete restoration on the Mohawk Institute windows; the building has over 200 windows and each window costs $5000 to restore
- Audio and Video documentation of Survivor Stories
- Restoration of the masonry with a total cost of $3 Million or $5 per brick
- Development of educational resource materials
- Development of the exhibits
- Create and endowment fund to ensure the Mohawk Institute legacy in perpetuity
The Save the Evidence Team
For more information about Save the Evidence or about the Woodland Cultural Centre contact the Save the Evidence Coordinator, Carley Gallant-Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 519-759-2650.
Charitable registration number: 891177990RR0001