Come work with us! Check this page often for more exciting job opportunities at Woodland.
Cultural Interpreter (Part-Time, Contract)
The Woodland Cultural Centre is seeking one highly motivated individual to assist in the Education department. The part-time Cultural Interpreter assumes responsibility for guiding tours of the Woodland Cultural Centre’s museum, facilitates Residential School presentations as well as workshop instructions. The Cultural Interpreter will be working in conjunction with other staff members to provide knowledgeable tours of the Centre and complete other duties related to Education. Preference will be given to applicants of First Nations ancestry.
Dates of contract position:
April 4th 2017 – June 30; September 4th – December 22; January 8 – March 30th 2018
$15/hr. x 18 hours weekly
- Research and become familiar with the Education Department, the Cultural Centre’s museum facilities, workshops that we provide and information of the Residential School.
- Research and become familiar with the traditional lifestyles and cultural objects.
- Participate in tour guide training as deemed appropriate by the Education Coordinator.
- Conduct guided tours of the Centre; including the museum, art galleries, outdoor exhibits, facilitate craft workshops, traditional music, dance and sports presentations and all other supplementary tour activities; individually and cooperatively as needed.
- Present residential school information sessions
- Complete other tasks (i.e. clerical, craft preparation, etc.) as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Possess good communication skills
- Possess knowledge of Residential School, specifically Mohawk Institute.
- Have understanding of history of Six Nations and Haudenosaunee culture.
- Enjoy working with the public
- Reliable and demonstrate interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Understand the social and political context of the Woodland Cultural Centre Museum, Education program and Art galleries to First Nations
- Traditional craft and artistic ability an asset
- Ability to speak languages of the Haudenosaunee an asset
March 22 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
Submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references to Woodland Cultural Centre, (marked PART TIME CULTURAL INTERPRETER) in person or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.