Please note this position has been filled
Check out other opportunities at the Woodland Cultural Centre HERE
The Woodland Cultural Centre is seeking a student to assist in the Woodland Cultural Centre’s Museum. Within the Museum program, the Museum Assistant assumes responsibility for assisting with the accessioning, cataloguing, photography, labelling, and inventory of artifacts within the collection of the Woodland Cultural Centre. The Aide will work in conjunction with the Collections Registrar in ensuring the care and handling of the artifact, art, and archives collection; and will also be called upon to lend assistance as needed in areas such as exhibition display, reception duties, and museum housekeeping.
Please note this position is available for an immediate start date.
• Research and become familiar with the Museum program, the Museum collection, the Cultural Centre, and the Care and Handling of Artifacts.
• Participate in training as deemed appropriate by the Collections Registrar, Museum Director and/or the Artistic Director.
• Help with the labelling of artifacts, do detailed condition reports of artifacts, take photographs of artifacts, store the artifacts appropriately, and aid in the annual inventory of collections.
• Work the reception desk on a rotating basis; this will include becoming familiar with the telephone system, money-handling procedures, customer service skills, and specific museum knowledge and general cultural information.
• Participate in and contribute to all staff and professional meetings required of the position.
• Complete other tasks (i.e., clerical, specialty cleaning of artifacts/collections storage area, etc.) as assigned.
• Ensure and maintain office space and equipment in a satisfactory manner.
Please see full job description for activities list.
• Must be a Post-Secondary School student
• Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
• Good penmanship required as labelling and reports are by hand
• Able to function well independently as well as within a team setting
• Knowledge of Ongwehonweh culture an asset
• Knowledge of photography an asset
• Previous museum experience an asset
Parameters of Contract:
• Must be registered with Grand River Employment and Training Student Office
• Must be planning to return to school for the Fall Semester
• Wage is $14.00/hour for up to 532.5 hours (must have completed these hours before September 1, 2019)
[15 weeks at 37.5 hours per work minus unpaid holidays]
• Start Date – Immediately
Preference will be given to applicants of Indigenous heritage.
If interested, please send cover letter and resumé with references to:
Woodland Cultural Centre
184 Mohawk Street
Brantford, ON N3S 2X2
Attn: Tara Froman
Note: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.